Friday 26th May

Hi everyone,

Homework for the holiday: mental arithmetic books, grammar worksheets, Sumdog challenges, Lexia targets and Reading Eggpress assignments. Please encourage your child to keep practicing times tables. By now, all Y4 children should know all multiplication facts up to 12 x 12. I have also sent home a sheet for your child to design an invention that uses computer technology for a positive and useful purpose.

Learners of the Week have been chosen by Daniel. He spoke to me after lunch today and nominated Aisha because “she makes us laugh at playtime and her attitude in lessons is spot on”. Daniel’s second suggestion was Eric because “his behaviour is a good example to everyone”.

I’m happy to go along with his advice but I need to add one more name: Daniel. How can I overlook someone who knows that he gives every ounce of effort every single week, and then displays such humility by recognising only the achievements of others?

On Thursday my class held a minute’s silence impeccably.  We sat spread out on the mound behind the MUGA. Though the birds continued to sing, every single child was completely silent, lost in their thoughts and prayers. Later in the evening Isaac posted this comment on the Google Classroom, “Dear God, please make all the people who died in Manchester live a happy life in Heaven, and may all the injured be healed. Please take good care of Sorrell.”

Well done to all those children from my class who took part in the triathlon at John Smeaton Leisure Centre this week. Unsurprisingly, they all looked very tired when they returned to school. Whilst the triathletes were away, I taught the rest of Y4 ‘photoshop’, coding and iMovie skills so that they could produce animations, movies and Scratch games based on a running, swimming and cycling competition. Paarshva and Karam worked really well together and I could tell how good their Scratch game was by the way in which Karam couldn’t help yelling with excitement!

Today was our last lesson with the cricket coach. He told the children that he couldn’t believe that they were the same class that he had first met only six weeks ago. I completely agree with him. Everyone was so keen to take part and there were superb displays of batting. Aisha played like she was Ben Stokes, Adwaya’s and Matthew’s technique was ‘textbook’, Maisie played a very clever and effective innings, and Paarshva, Kai and Niall hit the ball to the moon.

Recounts of our day with the Blah Blah Blah theatre company were written today as well as recounts of the time at the triathlon. Leo, Matthew, Olivia, Sithika, Paarshva, Shams, Charlie and Melika gave me everything they could but I have to give Adwaya a special mention. He showed resilience and determination when I put him in the ‘pit’ and asked him to raise the quality of his writing. Although he found the challenge difficult, of course he succeeded.

It was a good feeling to finish off a difficult week by celebrating the life of Sir David Attenborough, one of my heroes. I was amazed that the children had never heard of him and it was wonderful to be able to teach them about a man who has done more than anyone to protect this fragile blue planet.

Keep cool and have a peaceful holiday.

Mr. Moore

2 thoughts on “Friday 26th May